The purpose of Advanced Failure Analysis (Advanced F/A) is to find the (root) cause of the failure.
Only when you have the root cause you can successfully correct the design and/or the manufacturing process of your product! An Advanced F/A is needed when a Non-Destructive Analysis (NDA) and a first level F/A are inconclusive. Based on your inputs our F/A team can propose the optimum analysis flow for your product.
Our Advanced F/A Services:
- Curve tracing - measure the I/V curves
- Decapsulation - remove covering materials to get access to a chip surface
- Conventional Cross-sectioning - molding and polishing to reach the area of interest
- De-layering - layer by layer removal by fine polishing or etching to reach the area of interest
- Micro-probing - on-chip measurement of voltages
- Optical Microscopy - using light to make images at magnifications up to 1000x
- Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM) - using focused electrons for imaging and analysis purposes
- Emission Microscopy - locating emitted photons on semiconductors
- Optical Beam Induced Resistance Change (OBIRCH)- locating resistance changes due to heating with a scanning laser
- Lock-in thermography (LIT) - locating hot spots on semiconductors or on modules
- Atomic Force Microscopy (AFM) - leakage measurements by surface scanning
- Focused Ion Beam Cross Sectioning - using ions to precisely remove material
- Advice about the best F/A approach
- Extensive Advanced F/A tools in-house
- Experienced F/A staff
- Short turn around time
Need more information?
Detailed technical information can be found in our Failure Analysis Services leaflet: